You don’t want any hiccups or interruptions when it comes to moving from your old house to your new property. You do not wish to stall the entire process just to look back on the little things that you might have forgotten. Remember, choosing the right movers and packers in Melbourne should be on your checklist but this is not it. There are other things that you will have to do on your part to make sure that the transition is seamless and stress-free. For this, you will have to plan the entire move beforehand. You will also have to pay a visit to your new property and understand its layout all the while making a note of the several entry and exit points.
While you are at it, make sure to arrange for ramps and planks for easy movement of your furniture pieces on the day of the move. Now coming back to your old house, you will have to take care of your moving boxes and also arrange for a dependable and suitable moving vehicle. There is a lot that you will have to do. Let’s give you a detailed account of the most useful tips from experts that ensure a seamless move without any stress:
1. Come Up With A Budget For The Move
The first thing that you will have to do is come up with a moving budget. Before you even choose any removalists in Melbourne, you must understand your financial constraints and how willing you are to part with your hard-earned money and how much of it. A few considerations that you must keep in mind include:
- How much control you are willing to give to the professional movers and packers if you choose to go that way
- The number of packing materials that you want to invest in for your expensive belongings
- The travel costs associated with the move such as lodging, gas, food, oil change, vehicle maintenance, and the like
- Insurance package that you might have to purchase for some of your expensive items
- Storage facilities in case you need to store your belongings for a night
- All the bills and expenses due at your old home
- Setting aside an emergency fund for any unexpected situations during the house move
2. Set A Time Frame And Follow It
Whether you hire a moving company or not, you will always have to create a timeframe within which you have to function. You will have to narrow down a few days of the week when you can spare enough time for this transition. If you choose to go with a professional, you will have to coordinate the dates and time windows with them as the moving day approaches. It is also important to give a particular packing timeline to every section/room of your house. This helps you move from one room/area to the next as you get done packing it up for the final move.
3. Classify All Your Furniture Pieces
You can create at least 3 categories of your belongings at a time.
- Based On Durability
The first will be the most durable items, the second can be semi-durable and fixtures, and the third will be your expensive and delicate items. All these three categories will call for three distinct packing materials. You will also have to invest in different categories and sizes of moving boxes for all these belongings of yours.
- Based On Usage
Another way of classifying these items is by usage. The first category can be the one that you can get rid of (sold and bought again), the second is the one that can be recycled (donated or discarded) and the third is the irreplaceable category. It is also going to help you declutter your home efficiently. Once you are done categorizing your belongings, keeping an inventory of all the items that need to go in designated boxes and transferring to the moving vehicle will become even easier.
4. Choose A Moving Company
Now comes a very critical yet fun part of the moving process. It is time to choose the house movers of your liking. You will find numerous removalists in Melbourne but this is where the choice becomes even more difficult.
- Your first preference should be a company that helps you save a lot of money
- Also, make sure that they are available to answer your questions and solve your queries without you having to ask twice
- Somebody from the company should always take connected with you to keep you updated on the process
- Some professional movers in the city also have reliable storage facilities on the side and they can offer those services to you at a discount if you book them in advance
- Another consideration should be the advance deposit which must not be more than 20% of the total amount
5. Pick The Most Suitable Packing Materials
Let’s say that you have decided to pack and store your furniture pieces and other belongings on your own. This could turn out to be an intelligent decision if you have done it in the past. A few things that you should put on your moving checklist include the following:
- Moving boxes of various sizes and durability
- Bubble wrap
- Packing papers and other wrapping material
- Permanent markers
- Containers made out of recycled material
- Brown packing tapes
- Nylon rope
- Tape guns
- Box cutters and scissors
- Padding material
- Paper towels
- Moving straps
6. Get Rid Of Your Food Stocks
How could you forget this little step? It is very important to empty all your kitchen cabinets, drawers, refrigerator, and also your freezer. If there is any food item that can be consumed on the way, pack it up in a different box. If you want to move your refrigerator to your new house, get it cleaned and packed up nicely so that it can be moved to the moving van without any trouble.
7. Arrange For Your Utilities At The New House
This step when neglected becomes a real pain in the neck. It is going to stall the entire process and might turn out to be the most frustrating situation ever. All the utilities that you are going to be needing and using in your new home should be activated at least 2 days before you move in. These include the following:
- Complete painting, repair work, and cleaning of your house
- Pest control
- Lawn maintenance
- Security system installation
- Temporary living arrangements
- Food and sanitation
- Plumbing Repair
- Electrical equipment repair
- Insulation installation
- Arrangements for electricity, water, garbage removal, and the like y
- Our subscriptions such as newspapers, magazines, and OTT memberships
It is safe to say that after going through this blog you must be feeling a lot more relaxed. These are not just ideas or suggestions. These are the real-life experiences of some of the most reputable house movers in Melbourne. It is time to learn from them as much as you can before you plan your big move.