Here are the answers for some Frequently Asked Questions. In case you are not able to find an answer to your question feel free to reach us via call 1300 223 668 or Mail.
- How can I check the authenticity and credibility of a removalist?
Before you move, it is important to verify the authenticity and credibility of a moving company thoroughly.
- Make sure to do an online search about the moving companies and read their reviews and check ratings
- To get a hassle-free removal service, make sure to check the experience of the moving company and the number of years movers have put into the moving industry. Any mover who has been in business for more than 10 years and is not family-owned is the best bet to go with
- Make sure you hire a moving company, not a driver-operated removalist
- Do not get attracted towards the low-priced deals of driver-operated removalists, because they can cancel your job in case they get the high-priced job
- A genuine moving company will provide free quotes in writing without any obligation
- Make sure you get the quotes in writing from the moving company. Do not trust the quotes provided over a phone call or verbally
It is recommended to follow these steps and not to hire any random moving company to save a few pennies.
- How can I check a fraud moving company to prevent a scam?
There are rare incidents of fraud done by moving companies. But you cannot ignore the existence of fraud moving companies, especially the ones that crop up overnight and have very limited to almost 1-2 employees. Generally, dishonest moving companies lure customers by offering the lowest prices and before the delivery of your belongings, they demand more money. To protect yourself from any scam, you need to check the authenticity, genuineness, credibility and years of operation of the moving company you dealing with. The following are some ways that help you identify a fraud moving company.
- Make sure to do an online search about the moving company and read their reviews and check ratings
- Make sure to check the experience of the moving company and the number of years they have put into the moving industry
- A genuine moving company will provide free written quotes without any obligation
- Prefer a moving company that provides a pre-move survey
- Steer clear of owner-driver operated companies.
- How can I hire the best removalist at affordable prices?
Removalists providing quality work in a productive way are the best ones. They help to move stuff efficiently and safely. The following are some ways which you can check while hiring the best removalists at affordable prices for your upcoming move.
- Make a list of top removalists in your city
- Check if they are authentic and trustworthy
- Read reviews and check ratings for them
- Shortlist the 3 best removalists
- Get quotes from them
- Compare the quotes and choose the one that best matches your needs and budget.
- How long should it take to move a 1/2/3/4 bedroom house?
As such, it is difficult to provide an estimated time for the job as there are various factors that influence how long a move will take. This may include the number of items being moved, how ready the items are and access to the property (stairs or lifts).
As a general rule of thumb:-
- 1 bedroom house can take up to 2-4 hours
- 2 bedroom house can take up to 4-6 hours
- 3 bedroom house can take up to 5-7 hours
- 4 bedroom house can take up to 7-10 hours
Please note that these are only estimates and have the potential to vary greatly based on the above factors.
- Why should I hire a removalist when moving from one home to another?
Moving from one home to another can be a daunting and stressful task. The house removal process includes packing, loading, transportation, unloading, unpacking, and rearranging household items. There are several other tasks during house move that you may have to deal with. So it is quite stressful to manage the entire removal process on your own. Hence, it is best to hire a removalist to manage all your relocation requirements. Removalists will not only pack your belongings correctly but will also transport them safely to your new home.
- Do I need to empty my cupboards and wardrobes during house removals?
Yes, you need to empty the cupboards and wardrobes during house removals. Clothing and other loose items should be removed and packed separately into boxes.
- Are any items prohibited?
Unless previously agreed in writing by a director or other authorized company representative, the following items must not be submitted for removal.
- Prohibited or stolen goods, drugs, pornographic material, potentially dangerous, damaging or explosive items such as gas bottles, aerosols, paints, firearms and ammunition.
- Jewellery, watches, trinkets, precious stones or metals, money, deeds, securities, stamps, coins, or goods or collections of any similar kind.
- Goods likely to encourage vermin or other pests or to cause infestation or contamination.
- We shall notify you as soon as practicable if any of the goods in our opinion are hazardous to health, dirty or unhygienic or likely to attract vermin or pests. We shall notify you under what conditions we would be prepared to accept such goods or whether we refuse to accept them. We will have no liability to you if we refuse to accept the goods.
- Perishable items and/or those requiring a controlled environment.
- Any animals, birds, fish or reptiles.
- Goods which require special license or government permission for export or import.
- Will the removalists cover the damage or loss during the move?
Every removalist has different policies and conditions for the loss or damage cover. It is recommended to ask the removalist while confirming the booking about the damage cover. Also, it is important to take out removal insurance to avoid any hassle.
- What items are not covered under insurance on house moving?
Removal insurance protects your belongings from damage during the removal process. But there are some items that are not covered under the removal insurance. These items include cash, documents, credit/debit cards, jewellery, laptops, phones, antiques, fine art, heirlooms, glass items, items awkward in nature, and perishable items.
- Which is the best day for house removal?
- There are pros and cons of moving during the weekdays or on weekends.
- House removal on weekends can be expensive due to high demand. But it will be beneficial because you will get a lot of time to pack your goods.
- Whereas weekdays might not work well for everyone because of office and other commitments.
- It is best to relocate your house during weekdays since it will cost you less and you will not have to move in a rush.
- Do I need removal/transit insurance on furniture?
Generally, the removalists handle all the items with care and they are experienced in their field. But there are chances that accidents can happen during the move which might damage the items regardless of how much packing material was used. Most likely every moving company offers Goods/Transit and Public Liability Insurance with a specific amount which varies from company to company. However, you can buy additional insurance if not happy with the specific amount.
- How do I get removal insurance on furniture?
In case you are looking for insurance on your furniture while moving, you should check out with your removalist or a local insurance company. Insurance companies generally offer two kinds of insurances for the protection of your furniture while moving – “Goods in transit” and “Public liability insurance”. This will cost extra but is worth the peace of mind it gets you while moving expensive furniture items.
- Can I move my potted plants?
Most of the plants can be moved in the truck. However, any heavy, large, and fragile in nature potted plants can be difficult to transport in a moving truck due to space. Also, there is no insurance for the pots. It is advisable to make alternate arrangements in case you have fragile or very heavy potted plants or the distance of your move is more. You can also check with moving companies since many of them provide premium services which include plant moving.
- How can I reschedule removalists after I have booked them?
It depends on the moving companies to accept the rescheduling request. Most of the companies will agree to reschedule if you inform them in advance at least a day or two. If your rescheduling date is not confirmed, then you need to check the policies of the moving companies. Rescheduling of the moving date will depend on the availability of moving slots with the moving company.
- How long will it take to deliver my belongings and furniture?
In local moves, the items/stuff will deliver on the same day however working hours depend on property access, travel time, job size and how a client is ready on the day. If you are moving interstate, the transit time will depend on your destination, freight method, volume, and availability.
- What should I do with my pets on the day of the move?
On the day of your move, you will be very busy but it is also important that your pet is supervised and well cared for. Your pet will feel stressed on the day of the move while seeing unfamiliar faces of removalists in your house. It is best to place your pets with your friends or pet-sitters for the day. Else, you can secure your pet in one room with sufficient food, water, and belongings.
- Is it essential for me to be present at the pick-up and drop-off?
Yes, it is strongly suggested that you should be present to identify which goods are staying and which are going, items requiring special handling, and to answer any question. Most importantly, if you are available at the drop-off location, you will know the total time taken to complete the job and you can pay accordingly for the job.
- Do removalists assemble and disassemble furniture?
Yes, removalists can disassemble and assemble standard furniture items like bed frames. The most common items to be disassembled are bed frames, vanities, and large dining tables. If you are moving locally, moving companies do not charge extra for disassembling or reassembling the furniture, however, you will be billed at the standard rates. If you are moving interstate or long-distance, moving companies will charge for the weight.
- How can I save money on my house move?
Moving to a new house is an exciting experience, however, there are many factors that can affect the cost of your move. Following are some points that can be followed to save more money during your house move.
- Plan ahead and consider every cost
- Compare removal quotes and choose the best quote for your move
- Plan a mid-week move
- Declutter before moving your house
- Make a list of all the goods you want to move
- Sell/Donate your unwanted items
- Do moving companies transport pets?
Moving companies do not transport pets as part of their regular moving jobs, however, there are movers who offer pet removal services as a premium service that needs to be taken as an extra service along with the normal moving and packing service you have booked to move your regular household items. Ideally, during a house move when premium pet removal service is not available; pets travel best in your own car because pets need extra attention during the move.
- Can I leave my fridge full during the move so the frozen food doesn’t defrost?
It is best to empty the fridge and wipe it down prior to the move. Do not keep anything inside the fridge since it won’t be cooling while on the move. Make sure to switch off the power to the fridge before the move by checking the user manual for the fridge. Dispose of all perishables or make other arrangements for the same.
- Are there any goods that cannot be moved?
Unless previously agreed in writing by an authorized representative of a moving company, the following items cannot be moved:
- Prohibited or stolen goods, pornographic material, drugs, potentially dangerous, damaging or explosive items, including paints, gas bottles, firearms, ammunition, and aerosols
- Watches, jewellery, trinkets, money, stamps, precious stones or metals, coins, deeds, securities, or goods or collections of any similar kind
- Goods likely to cause infestation or contamination or encourage vermin or other pests
- Perishable items or those requiring a controlled environment
- Any animals, fish, birds, or reptiles
- Goods that require special license or government’s permission for export or import.
- I have a studio apartment. Are a man and a van be sufficient?
If you have limited furniture or items in your studio apartment, then a man and a van are sufficient to relocate. However, if you have a number of heavy items to move such as a fridge, bed, sofa, or similar items, then two men are required with a van. It is recommended to provide exact details and volume of the items or furniture so that the moving company can verify if the job requires one man or more.
- Is it okay if I leave while the removalists are busy in my house?
You should always be present during the packing and loading of your household items and furniture. If you can’t be at the house, you can arrange another person who will act as your representative. You or your representative has to check and verify that all the items have been loaded, moved and placed as per your requirement if you have any.
- Does it matter if my house or apartment is dirty?
Most of the removalists will do the move even if your house or apartment is not clean. But if it is unhygienic, some of the removalists may refuse to do the move due to health risks.
- How to protect furniture during house removal?
To protect your furniture during removal, follow these steps:
- Collect the packing materials to wrap and pack furniture items
- Disassemble and prepare the furniture for packing
- Wrap the furniture items properly in blankets and stretch wrap
- Properly pack and label the nuts, bolts, and screws
- Mark your packed boxes if anything is fragile. Mark directions up to down if anything is required to be placed in a standing position
- Clear doorways to avoid any damage to furniture items
- Hire professional removalists to safely pack, load, and move furniture items
- What is a simple and convenient way to pay when moving house?
The method of payment for the final bill may vary between moving companies, with cash or an EFTPOS machine-swipe credit/debit card being among the choices. It is always a good idea to find out how you can pay the final bill at the time of booking.
- How can I determine the number of moving boxes I need for a house move?
When moving house, it can be difficult to estimate how many moving boxes you will need. The number of items you want to move will determine how many boxes you will need. It is best to start packing at least a week before the moving day so that you can estimate how many items are packed in the moving boxes and how many moving boxes you will need to pack the rest of the items. To avoid this hassle, you can hire a professional moving company to pack and move your household items.
- What packing supplies do I need for house relocation?
Packing your household goods is a stressful process. To pack your goods safely, you need the following packing supplies and ask for a packing tips document to make this packing process smooth:
- Moving boxes (small, medium, large)
- Packing papers
- Bubble wrap
- Packing tape
- Scissor or cutter
- Markers or labels
You can also hire removalists to pack all your goods and relocate them safely.
- How can I check the authenticity and credibility of a removalist?
- Where can I get packing materials?
You have the option to get the packing materials either from the removalist (please share your requirement at the time of booking) or from a local store – Bunnings or Homewrap. You will have to pay extra to the removalist for the packing material – boxes, tapes, and bubble wraps.
- Is it mandatory to get the packing material from the moving company?
No, it is not mandatory to get packing material from the moving company. You can buy the packing material from a local store.
- Where can I buy moving boxes?
Moving boxes are available in bundles and can also be bought individually as per your needs. You can buy moving boxes from the removalist you are moving with (provide them prior information that you are going to need moving boxes) or a local store such as Bunnings.
- Can I use my own moving boxes for packing?
It is not recommended to use your own moving boxes for packing. The following are the reasons why it is not recommended:
- Used boxes cannot protect your items because they have lost the strength to avoid any damage
- Used boxes will be dirty or have mould inside them
- Used boxes cannot be of the appropriate sizes to pack all your items
- Used boxes will have harbour pests like roaches or bedbugs
- How do I prepare my fridge for moving?
To prepare your fridge specifically before moving:
- Please dispose of all perishables
- Unplug the power cord at least 6 hours prior to the move
- Wash all removable parts
- Allow all parts of the fridge such as the interior along with the freezer to dry thoroughly prior to moving to allow all moisture to evaporate
- Pack all loose parts including bins and shelves in a secure and approved container for moving
- Empty and clean the evaporator pan; allow time for it to dry
- Turn off the water and disconnect the water line if you have a cold water dispenser or automatic ice-maker at least 6 hours prior to the move.
- Do movers work during lockdown?
It depends on local and regional restrictions issued by the state governments however Road Transport Logistic Business (Movers and Packers Business) falls under essential work. Essential work is generally kept out of restrictions imposed during the lockdown. Movers do work during lockdowns – subject to state government directions.
- Do movers work 24/7?
Movers have fixed operational hours due to the nature of their job, generally, 6:00 AM to 09:00 PM (Monday to Sunday). Work hours might differ on the basis of the region or season. Operational hours are fixed however many moving companies have their customer support and sales departments stretch beyond the operational hours – although not 24/7.
- Can I cancel my move?
Yes, you can cancel the move or removalist service. Every moving company has a different cancellation policy. Usually, you can cancel the move at least 48-72 hours prior to the move. To get exact details on the cancellation policy, it is recommended to contact the moving company.
- Which is the best day for office removal?
The best day for your office removals is on weekends. Unlike weekdays, the weekend is the best choice because there will be no loss in business and also the sales will not be paused.
- What are the major services provided by a moving company?
The major services provided by a moving company are:
- House removals
- Office removals
- Piano removals
- Pool table removals
- Interstate removals
- Packing/Unpacking services
- Commercial removals
- Storage removals
- End of Lease removals
- Can I ask the removalists to pack the way I want them to?
Yes, you can ask the removalists to pack the way you want. But you should have knowledge or skills about packing so that it cannot damage your goods. Also, it is recommended to ask your moving company for this because every company has a different policy.
- Can I help during the move?
All moving companies provide extensive training to their movers before they start handling heavy/fragile items navigate through tricky access and are well versed with respect to risk assessment. Therefore, it is best to not help in the move as it can lead to an injury for you and even jeopardize the movers’ safety. These kinds of injuries will not be covered under insurance.
- Can I move along with movers?
It is not advised to move along with the movers since moving trucks do not have the capability to carry anyone other than the drivers and movers. Apart from that, a professional moving company won’t allow you to travel along with the movers for liability reasons. You need to make your own arrangements on a moving day with respect to your own transportation.
- How can I protect my glass tops and paintings?
We recommend you bubble wrap the glass tops (fragile items) and paintings. Make sure to label each and every glass top and painting as fragile. Inform the movers about all the fragile items you have packed so that they can ensure to place them safely in the truck. Paintings especially the ones that might be susceptible to damage because of pressure or exposure to the environment need to be packed according to the instructions of the curator from where you have bought the painting.
- Do moving companies move a few/single items?
Yes, the moving companies can move a few/single items if the client is looking for, however, they can charge as per the truck size sent at the client’s property.
- How long will my pool table removals take?
The time to move a pool table depends on variable factors such as:
- Size and weight of a pool table
- Distance between pick-up and drop-off locations
- Moving time (Usually high during holidays)
- Accessibility and other obstacles
- When should I book a removalist?
Ideally, the majority of the people always book a removalist 4-6 weeks before the final date of the move however you can call the moving company anytime to get a free quote and to check availability. You can opt discounted deal and time slot by your own choice if you are giving advance notice.
- What if I want to change the moving date?
You need to contact your moving company to change your moving date. Every moving company has a different policy to change the date. It is recommended to contact your moving company as soon as possible or at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled date.
- Do removalists move BBQ?
Yes, removalists can help you in moving BBQ. Make sure the BBQ is clean or has a protective cover on it so that other things in the truck don’t get sooty. And if it is a gas BBQ, please disconnect and remove the gas bottle.
- Can I move food?
It is recommended to use or dispose of all perishables before moving. You can pack your boxed or canned food in small boxes. Wrap your glass jars with proper packing material to prevent breakage during the move. Also, don’t risk moving food products during the summer because the inside temperature of a moving van can reach more than 100 degrees.
- How can I arrange parking for the moving day?
All cities and suburbs have different parking rules for anyone all over Australia. However, parking is always the client’s responsibility on the moving day basis on the truck size. It is recommended to contact your local council office to arrange permits. Also, it is recommended to inform your neighbours in advance to ensure they are not disturbed. Also, check with the removalists how much space their trucks are going to engage for the time they are loading and unloading your goods at the pick-up and drop off location. The removalists will provide you a ballpark idea of the space they are going to require for their moving trucks on the moving day.
- When should I start packing for a move?
As soon as the date to move your house/office is confirmed, you should start packing your goods. Many individuals think that they will do the packing just a few days before the move, which is completely a wrong strategy. It is advisable to make a packing calendar and start packing a few boxes every day basis on your day to day requirements of the items which can help you to save time, money and the hassle of last-minute packing. The client can also request to moving company to pack the stuff which can be an additional cost.
- What happens if the volume of goods changes on a moving day?
If there is a change in the volume of goods between the receiving of removal quote and on a moving day, you need to contact your moving company. They will review the quote and make changes in the quote according to the updated volume of goods (if the quote is not on an hourly basis). In case the change in the volume is significant, it becomes more important to inform your moving company as they might have to send in a bigger moving truck to compensate for the increase in the volume of goods.
- Can a moving company help me with storage, if I have to move out of my house before the new place is ready?
Yes, moving companies can help you with storage. Either they can provide secure storage or they can guide for the nearest or suitable storage for the same.
- How does my LCD or Plasma TV gets taken care of if I don’t have the original box it came in?
Removalists always cover the items with safety blankets but it would be highly appreciable if you can bubble wrap the LCD or Plasma TV. You can place a piece of cardboard in front of the LCD or Plasma TV screen to provide additional protection and then bubble wrap it. It is also advisable to visit a local store like Bunnings to purchase a moving box and packaging material for the TV.
- Can I relocate on weekends?
Yes, you can relocate on weekends. There are pros and cons of moving during weekends.
House removal on weekends can be expensive due to high demand. But it will be beneficial because you will get a lot of time to pack your goods. Whereas weekdays might not work well for everyone because of office or other commitments.
Office removals on weekends is the best choice for you. Because there will be no loss in business and also the sales will not be paused.
- How much time will it take to move my office?
Office removal can be stressful if not planned beforehand and not executed by a professional moving company. It is recommended to move your office on weekends to reduce disruptions in your business. It is difficult to provide an estimated time for the job as there are a lot of tasks to do during office removal such as packing, loading, moving, unloading, unpacking, and refitting. The size of the office plays a major role in determining the time taken to move any office. In local moves, office items can be delivered in one day. However, if you are moving interstate, the transit time will depend on your destination, freight method, and the volume of items.
- What happens if the moving truck breaks down during relocation?
You don’t have to worry about the truck breakdown. If the truck breakdown, moving companies always provide a backup truck. The moving companies do not charge extra for the backup truck, however, delays can happen sometimes just because of this.
- Do moving companies charge by volume or weight?
Most moving companies do not charge by volume or weight. But, there is a possibility that a few moving companies may charge by the weight of the goods for long-distance moves. So, it is always recommended to ask the moving company while getting a removal quote. For a local move, a house removal company will typically charge only by the hour.
- Is there a fee to change my moving date?
Generally, there is no extra fee for changing the moving date. Most of the companies will agree to reschedule if you inform them in advance for at least a day or two. If your rescheduled date is not confirmed, then you need to check the policies of the moving companies. Rescheduling of the moving date will depend on the availability of moving slots with the moving company.
- What should I do with my jewellery while moving?
Unless previously agreed in writing by a director or other authorized company representative, jewelry items must not be submitted for removal and will under no circumstances be moved by the moving company.
- Do removalists disconnect or unplug the television, fridge, or other electrical appliances before the move?
Generally, removalists do not disconnect or unplug the television, fridge, or other electrical appliances. They do not take on the liability. So, it is best to disconnect or unplug the electrical appliances by yourself and try to pack them in the desired box.
- What if my items do not fit in one load?
If your items do not fit in a single load on moving day, removalists can move them in multiple trips. But it will cost you more. It is best to provide the exact volume of your items when receiving the quote from the moving company so that the appropriate size of a truck can be sent to your property.
- When will removalists arrive at the property to pick up the items?
The estimated time of arrival (ETA) from the removalists will be according to the time slot provided to the customer. Also, the removalists will give the customer at least 30 minutes’ notice before arriving at the pickup location.
- Is it cheaper to move on weekdays or is it the same on weekends?
There are pros and cons of moving during the weekdays or on weekends.
House removal on weekends can be expensive due to high demand. But it will be beneficial because you will get a lot of time to pack your goods. Whereas weekdays might not work well for everyone because of office and other commitments.
It is best to relocate your house during the weekdays since it will cost you less and you will not have to move in a hurry.
- How can I prepare my goods for storage?
You need to take some precautionary steps before putting your goods in storage.
- Always use the new moving boxes to pack the goods
- Do not use plastic bags to store goods or clothes
- Check all goods for moisture, mould, or insects
- Make sure there are no perishable or flammable goods
- Do not store canned or other food items
- How can I pack my clothes for moving?
- Organise clothes according to season and family members
- Use wardrobe boxes, suitcases, or vacuum bags to pack clothes
- Donate or sell unused clothes
- Wash or dry-clean clothes before packing to avoid stink
- Pack similar clothes together
- Do removalists disassemble beds?
Most of the movers carry standard tools only if requested at the time of booking. If any special tools are required, the customer has to make the arrangements. Movers can try to assemble or disassemble with standard tools if it is not complicated.
- How can I pack shoes/heels for moving?
Pack your shoes or heels in their original boxes or moving boxes to prevent them from getting crushed. To retain the shape of your shoes, pack them with clean packing paper or socks. Before packing your shoes/heels, allow them to completely dry from any kind of moisture or sweat. Also, to prevent any bad smell, put a tea bag in the shoes while packing.
- Do electrical appliances need special attention while moving?
Yes, electrical appliances such as washing machines, refrigerators, and washers need special attention while moving. Make sure to unplug the electrical appliances and clean them properly. After cleaning, leave them to dry properly before moving. Along with this, make sure to follow the instructions manual provided by the manufacturer. If the original packing materials or box are no longer available, you may need to pack them into a crate prior to moving day. If the item can fit in another sturdy box, line it with plenty of newsprint paper or styrofoam before packing. Seal securely and mark “Extremely Fragile” on the carton.
- How do I pack liquids for a move?
To avoid the spillage of liquids, you need to pack the liquids in the safest way before a move. Follow these steps to pack the liquids safely:
- Assess which liquid-filled bottles/containers you want to move from your list of liquids
- Use half-filled liquid bottles on priority and avoid the use of sealed liquids
- Do not pack hazardous liquids and dispose of them before moving
- Use plastic containers or bins to pack the liquids and avoid the use of cardboard boxes to pack liquids
- Pack the opened liquid bottles with plastic wrap
- Inform your mover about the liquids you are moving in advance
- What happens if it is raining on a moving day?
Delays to pick-up/delivery times are sometimes unavoidable due to bad weather, like heavy rain. Most companies always send a box truck to the client’s property, which minimises the impact of bad weather on the client’s belongings. The only problem with open parking in this case is that it can make the removalists helpless to stop the work on the day of the job. Therefore, the best idea is to plan your move according to the weather forecast if you do not have covered parking at both of the properties.
- What happens if something gets damaged/broken while moving?
Packing and moving is a difficult task, and there is always a possibility that something might get broken or damaged during the move. If something gets damaged or broken while moving, follow these steps:
- Inspect items for any damage at the time of delivery
- Take pictures as evidence
- Report to moving company with evidence to investigate
- Is it safe to store goods in the storage facilities?
Safety is the most important aspect of storing goods in storage facilities. These are factors that need to be taken care of while choosing a storage facility to store your goods:
- Round the clock CCTV coverage and security staff
- Well-maintained storage facility in terms of theft, dust, rodents, and flood
- Restricted access to the entire storage facility for customers
- Ask for insurance while buying storage
- How do I protect my floors and carpets on a moving day?
The importance of protecting carpets or floors on moving day cannot be overstated. Include this task on your moving day checklist. Follow these tips to protect your floors and carpets:
- Avoid dragging the furniture items
- Make use of furniture sliders
- Make use of sturdy boxes
- Avoid overfilling of boxes
- Use doormats to reduce dirt and pebbles
- Make use of old rugs
- Hire professional removalists
- What happens if I don't pay movers?
Prior to booking, be sure to inform the moving company that you want to pay later or any authorised company is paying for the job. Ignoring to do so may cause problems on the day, like the customer can either choose to reschedule the job for another day or it can delay the delivery of goods or incur re-delivery charges if the bill is not paid on time.
- How can I ensure that my belongings end up in the correct room?
To make sure that your belongings end up in the correct room, you need to label your moving boxes properly while packing the goods. It is recommended to label the moving boxes on at least two sides by mentioning which room the box belongs to and what goods are included in it. You can also point out if the box contains any fragile items.
- How can I pack my waterbed?
You can follow these tips to safely pack and move your waterbed:
- Drain your waterbed at least one day before the moving day
- Drain your waterbed either with a drain pump or with an electric pump
- Make sure to remove all electrical connections to the waterbed
- Pack the waterbed mattress in the moving box or storage bag to prevent any damage or puncture
If you move the waterbed without draining it, it will be harmful to both the movers and the bed.
- How can I pack China plates and dishes for moving to prevent breakage?
During the house moving process, packing china plates and dishes is one of the most difficult tasks. You can use packing paper, bubble wrap, dish boxes, medium-sized boxes, and packing tape to safely pack china items to prevent any breakage. Follow these tips to safely pack and move your china items:
- Assemble all the packing materials and items
- Wrap each dish and plate with packing paper or bubble wrap
- Pack the plates and dishes in the boxes
- Place heavy china items on the bottom
- Make use of towels or balled up paper to fill the gaps in the boxes
Once the mover arrives, point out the kitchen items that are most special to you during your walkthrough. Movers handle all the items professionally, but taking a moment to show which items are most valuable to you is a good idea. Point out the boxes you would like to have unloaded first if they are not going into storage.
- Is it safe to move my fridge in a laying down position?
It is always recommended by experts that it is best to move the fridge to an upright position. But if you want to move your fridge by laying it down, you need to keep it on the hinge side. Moving your fridge to a laying down position can affect the cooling system.
- What types of equipment are carried in the moving trucks?
The majority of moving trucks are equipped with hand trolleys, blankets, dollies, and straps to safely transport household and office goods. Moving trucks also carry a standard toolkit (having screwdrivers/l keys) to disassemble and assemble the furniture items, but no power tools. If you need any special equipment to move your goods, you can request the moving company at the time of booking.
- How to keep kids busy on a moving day?
Moving is a challenging and stressful process, but moving with kids makes it more challenging. Follow these tips to keep your kids busy on a moving day:
- Choose a safe area for your kids
- Make sure they have access to their toys and other special stuff
- Teach them some good card games
- Give them some scrapbooks, creativity books, picture books or story books to read
- Let them play outside if you have a secure outdoor space
- Do moving companies provide free moving boxes?
Generally, moving companies do not provide free moving boxes. However, if you prefer to purchase the packing supplies, including moving boxes, from the moving companies, they can offer you discounts and attractive packing and moving deals.
- How much do furniture removalists cost?
A furniture removalist’s price varies depending on the size of the truck, volume of furniture, the distance between the pickup and drop-off locations, moving date/day, and access to the property. It is always advised to discuss costs in advance with the removal companies at the time of booking.
- In the process of moving when will I make the full and final payment to the movers?
Before hiring a removal company to help you with your move, make sure you find out how the final payment will be processed. When you receive a quote, don’t pay the entire amount right away; instead, pay the final bill on the day of the move.
- How much do I tip for furniture removal?
No moving company requires movers to provide any tip, but customers may choose to reward their efforts on the day.
- How much tip should people give to movers in Australia?
- Will my belongings be safe while moving?
Yes, removalists pack and move the goods safely and securely as it is their routine job. The moving vehicles are generally fully equipped with blankets, trolleys, dollies, and straps to safely move your belongings. The moving vehicles also have a hydraulic tailgate lift to safely load the goods, so your belongings will be safe and secure.
- Where can I get packing materials?
- What is a hydraulic tailgate lift in a removalist truck?
It is hydraulic (sometimes electric) equipment that is installed on the rear of a removalist truck. It enables freight to be lifted from the ground to the height of the truck’s tailgate, or from the tailgate to the ground to make the loading and unloading of the items safe and secure.
- Can I offer food or drinks to the movers?
You are not required to provide food or drink to the movers. Offering the movers water on a hot day is a good gesture and always appreciated and welcomed, however, offering food and other beverages are not mandatory.
- Do movers take time off for lunch?
It depends on the moving company. If movers take time off for lunch during the move, it will be properly logged and customers won’t be charged for the lunch-time.
- Are moving vehicles fully equipped to move my goods?
Yes, moving vehicles are fully equipped with blankets, straps, trolleys, and dollies to safely move your goods. The moving vehicles are also equipped with a hydraulic tailgate lift. The moving vans/trucks have always been inspected from time to time.
- What size trucks do moving companies use for removal services?
Moving companies have all sizes of moving trucks available in their fleet for removal services. The average size of the moving trucks starts from 2 ton to 10 ton which has always been advised to clients basis on their requirements like property size and space available for the parking.
- Should the removalists take shoes off when walking into the house?
Not necessarily. Removalists are equipped with heavy-duty work shoes/boots to reduce the risk of injury. Shoes/boots provide extra support to keep an ankle from twisting and protect toes from smashing when removalists carry heavy objects during a move.
- Do I need to be at the property when the furniture arrives?
Yes, the client should always be present to identify the condition of the house and furniture items or to answer movers’ questions if they have any. Because sometimes items require special handling, directions from the client to access the property and many more questions like where to place the furniture if the client has any choice. If you can’t be at the property, you can arrange another person who will act as your agent. You need to inform the moving company about the appointment of the agent and share his contact details with the moving company.
- Is it cost-effective to hire a truck and move by myself?
It seems a bit more cost-effective to hire a moving truck and move by yourself. But it requires a lot of effort to pack, load, unload, and unpack all the items. For loading and unloading, you need experienced staff as, during packing and moving, there is the possibility of unexpected issues or injuries. So, it is best to hire a professional moving company, which will not cost you more but will make your move hassle-free.
- What is a hydraulic tailgate lift in a removalist truck?
- What is the average moving cost?
If you are moving local, you may need to pay $75 to $300 an hour for a small apartment with 2 movers. This cost is approximate and will depend on the location, moving distance, access of the property, list of items to move, how a client is ready for the move on the day and various other factors.
- Which quote will be cheaper, hourly rate or a quoted price?
Fix prices jobs can lead to high cost as the moving companies calculate all the possible problems that can happen on a moving day. Therefore, hourly price is always a better option. If you keep your stuff in ready-to-go condition on a moving day then surely hourly prices would be cost-effective.
- What factors affect the moving cost?
The moving cost depends upon various factors, such as:
- Distance between pick-up and drop-off locations
- Access to the property, e.g. narrow access, stairs, and parking distance
- Size of the moving truck/van
- Total weight and volume of the items
- Quantity and types of moving boxes and packing materials
- How much will it cost to move a piano?
To move locally, you need to pay a piano moving cost between $200 to $400 from ground-ground along with other moving materials. If you want to move only your piano, you need to pay $600 or more from ground-ground. This cost is approximate and will depend on the location, moving distance, moving time, and various other factors.
- If I want to shift only a fridge, can I still get quotes?
Yes, you can still get a quote for Fridge only. The moving companies can demand a high amount to move only 1 or 2 items.
- What is depot to depot charge or call-out fee in house moving?
Depot to Depot charge is a term used in the moving business. In the case of depot to depot, the job billing time starts from the depot where the truck departs for the job and the finish time for the job is when the truck arrives back at the same depot. So in the case of depot to depot, the whole travel time including the job time will be counted and the client has to pay accordingly.
- Is there any obligation when getting a removal quote?
No, there are no obligations when getting a removal quote. The removal quote is free. You are free to make your own decisions.
- Why do I have to pay a surcharge?
- What are removal quotes or estimates?
Moving estimates are roughly calculated prices provided to you over the phone call basis on the information given by you at that time. It is always recommended that you should not book your service at the estimated prices received over the phone call as the final bill can be changed (less or more) basis on the real-time condition on the day like (your stuff is ready to move or not, your access at the property and traffic on the day, etc.). Whereas, the removal quotes are always provided in writing by seeing the goods that you want to pack and move. Kindly insist on a written removal quote before booking a moving service with any company.
- What should I think if I do not receive a call from a moving company after requesting a quote?
Generally, it doesn’t happen. First, make sure to enter the correct details (phone number and email address) at the time of the quote request. Second, if you raise a request after office hours might be you will receive a call back the next day. Please try to call the moving company during working hours once if they are operational in the area or they can help to provide quotation real-time.
- Do I need to fill out an inventory list in a quote?
Yes, it would be beneficial if the removalist gets an inventory list. You can also inform the sales representative about the list of the items over the call while booking. For your own reference also, an inventory list will be great to make sure everything is reached at the new place.
- How much does it cost to move a 1/2/3 bedroom apartment?
The cost to move a 1/2/3 bedroom apartment depends on various factors such as:
- size of the house
- floor type
- pick-up and drop-off location
- volume of items
- the required size of the moving truck/van
- move during weekdays or on a weekend (hourly prices of moving companies differ for weekdays, weekends and public holidays)
Generally, moving companies charge on a per hour basis. Therefore a customer has to pay for the time invested by the movers in the whole moving process.
It is recommended to get a removal quote in writing from a moving company by providing all your details.
- Do removalists charge extra for stairs?
Stair charges are one-time charges as it takes extra effort and care while moving any item. One flight of stairs will cost around $40. The charges may vary depending upon the items, the number of steps, flights, etc.
- Do I have to pay upfront?
You can make payment to the moving company on the completion of the move, however, it depends on company policies and sometimes on the customer’s situation on a moving day. You can make payment by cash or credit/debit card using the EFTPOS machine. There will be a surcharge of 1.5% in case you are paying by credit card through the EFTPOS machine.
- How much to tip piano removalists?
It is not mandatory to give any tip to the piano removalists. But, sometimes customers appreciate removalists’ work and can reward them according to their own choice. It is recommended to ask the moving company during the booking if they allow their removalists to accept tips.
- How can I get removal services at discounted prices?
To get offers and discounts on your relocation services, consider the following ways:
- It is best to plan your move during the off-season period because you will get lower rates during this period
- It is recommended to regularly visit the websites and social media pages of moving companies to check what they are offering or for any special discounts
- If you have moved before with any particular moving company and your experience was good, then contact the same company again. Because there is a possibility that you will get a special discount as a repeat customer.
- Do I have to pay for parking?
Ideally, it is the client’s responsibility to arrange parking on the day of the move. If it is paid or unauthorised parking on street then the client has to bear the charges for any ticket raised. On the other hand, as a local resident, the client is always aware of the entire locality including the parking area near to their addresses. So always check with the moving company about the truck’s dimensions which is about to arrive on the moving day.
- When can I make payment for the work that is done?
You can make payment at the time of unloading basis on the amount agreed to pay at the time of booking. Payment policies vary from company to company. Because some companies always request payment in full at the time of booking and only a few charge a certain amount as a deposit in the beginning rest they charge on the moving day.
- I want to move only single room furniture. Can I still get the removal quotes?
Yes, you can get a quote for the removal of single room furniture or for a single item as well. You can always check with a moving company that works on an hourly basis since you will be paying for the number of hours taken to complete the move.
- How should I pay removalists? What are the different payment methods?
You can make payment to the removalists either by cash or by credit/debit card. There will be a surcharge of 1.5% if you are making payment by credit/debit card through the EFTPOS machine.
- How can I calculate how much storage do I need?
The storage space you need completely depends on the volume of the goods.
- What are GST charges on hiring a removalist?
The GST is 10% in Australia. So, make sure you ask the removal company if the quote is inclusive of GST or exclusive of GST, as it varies from one company to another.
- How long is a removal quote valid for?
Generally, a removal quote is valid from 30 days to up to 6 months. However, if it is more than 30 days, the price may change due to a variety of factors like fuel prices and the availability of the truck size you require. The time duration differs from company to company. It is advisable to ask the moving company about the exact time while receiving the quote.
- I think I have been overcharged by my mover. What should I do?
Your moving company can be reached by phone or email if there is an overcharge or other issue. Most moving companies always refund the money if there is any miscalculation or overcharge. It is best to approach this concern in a calm, professional manner.
- Whom should I contact if there is a dispute in the payment during the move?
During the move, you should contact your moving company if there is a payment dispute. You can contact them via email, phone, or live chat support. A moving manager is usually assigned to coordinate the move.
- How payments are generally settled by movers while moving a home or office?
You can make payment to the moving company on the completion of the move. However, it depends on company policies and sometimes on the customer’s situation on the moving day. You can make a payment by cash or credit/debit card using the EFTPOS machine. There will be a surcharge of 1.5% if you are paying by credit card through the EFTPOS machine.
- Is there an additional cost if the moving truck gets stuck in traffic?
Most moving companies quote for their moving services on hourly rates. The price calculation starts from the pick-up location and stops till the last item is delivered at the drop-off address. At any stage, if the vehicle gets stuck in traffic, the client has to pay according to the total hours spent on the job.
- What is the average moving cost?