A woman and two children in hotel quarantine in Hobart have tested positive for coronavirus. At the same time, the woman’s husband has tested negative for coronavirus.
All four are part of a family who arrived in Hobart on a repatriation flight from Delhi at the weekend.
Premier Peter Gutwein has announced the cases at a briefing.
Peter Gutwein said that the age of the woman is 30, and she had developed symptoms. Yet the two children are under 10, and they were asymptomatic.
Mr. Gutwein said, “Due to the health condition of the mother and the age of the children, the COVD-19 positive family will be transferred by ambulance to the Royal Hobart Hospital.”
No staff involved in the transportation, arrival, or quarantine had been isolated as all communications were following infection safety protocols, said Mr. Gutwein.
He said the information would cause stress to some Tasmania citizens, but the systems were working.
Tasmania’s Chief Medical Officer Tony Lawler said this family would be handled in a separate hospital room. Once the woman’s symptoms would be under control, they would shift to the Fountainside medi-hotel.
Officer Lawler said, “Our rules are strict, our processes are safe, and we contain the risks in the quarantine hotels and our health system.”
Public Health Director Mark Veitch said quarantine and health team followed strict orders, and Qantas had been announced.
“There is less risk to ordinary Tasmania citizens,” said Mr. Veitch.
Dr. Veitch said from more than 150,000 overseas arrivals to Australia, there were a few positive staff managing cases.
All 118 people in quarantine have undergone their initial COVID-19 test, and 91 results have been declared.
They will face another round of COVID-19 tests over the following days, but anyone with symptoms will be tested quickly.
There is a weekly examination of quarantine staff.
Another repatriation flight is expected in Tasmania on December 23.
The new COVID-19 cases bring Tasmania’s result to 231 after the pandemic started, including 13 deaths.