Pic credit: abc.net.au
Quarantine hotel cluster linked two more people have tested positive for coronavirus in Melbourne. The Victorian Government ramps up testing efforts across the city.
Victoria’s Department of Health declared the two new infections have come out and both are the primary household contacts of cases linked to the Holiday Inn hotel at Melbourne Airport.
The department said on Twitter “Interviews are started, and associated exposure sites will be announced online as quickly as possible.”
There are now 10 COVID positive cases linked to the Holiday Inn outbreak. Experts consider it has come by a COVID-positive citizen who used a particular nebuliser when living at the hotel.
Health officials think vapour from the nebuliser (medical equipment that evaporates medicine) may have begun to an “exposure situation” which affected other people staying in the hotel.
Since authorities identified the nebuliser, two returned travellers, and three workers have tested positive to the virus last Friday, including two more positive cases on Wednesday.
The latest coronavirus cases announced this afternoon would appear tomorrow morning in the department’s official numbers.
The positive COVID cases reported yesterday afternoon were a worker at the Holiday Inn Melbourne airport, and another one was an international traveller who completed hotel quarantine there.
And there were no new international acquired cases were published yesterday.
On Wednesday authorities got 22,570 test results, a small drop from the 22,849 treated on Tuesday.
A different drive-through testing site has been fixed up in Sunbury, north-west of Melbourne, in the former Masters car park over the road from Woolworths.
The health department has asked anyone who toured a “Tier 1” exposure site through the listed exposure period to get tested immediately and isolate or quarantine for two weeks. And the list of sites comprises shops in Glen Waverly, Sunbury, Melbourne suburbs, and other Springvale.
On February 5 people who visited the Square Shopping Centre Sunbury between 3:40 pm and 4:30 pm has been ordered to get coronavirus tested and self isolate till they found COVID negative.
Transport Minister Jacinta Allan said, “a person who tested coronavirus positive yesterday had been in a wastewater surveillance catchment zone that identified the virus’s fragments.”