You are nervous already and it hasn’t even started raining yet. It is not even cloudy. But for some odd reason, you have that hunch and that weird feeling at the back of your mind that something is going to go wrong. When it comes to the weather, you can never be certain. However, there is a bit of surety that those weather apps do bring into the equation. One of the best tips for moving house during a rainy day is to avoid the rainy day in the first place. But there are days when things just don’t go as you expect them to. This blog talk about a few moving tips that will prove to be highly successful when you have to move your house on a rainy day. Let’s talk:
1. Avoid This Weather At All Costs
Packing and moving services in your city are always going to avoid this weather because it can get tricky and causes a lot of damage to your furniture pieces and especially your electrical appliances. Install a weather application that comes highly recommended on your smartphone. Visit the App Store or the Play Store and only read the top-rated reviews to find the most dependable weather application. Go with a paid version if you are not so sure about the free version giving you the most dependable forecast or reading. Remember, this little expense is going to prevent you from spending hundreds of dollars on the repair or replacement of some of your most beautiful furniture pieces and expensive electronic items if they get damaged because of water seepage or thunderstorms.
2. Always Choose The Daytime
This is again a little preventive measure but it does give you a sense of surety and peace of mind that your luggage is not going to get damaged. Choose a sunny day for your packing and moving, especially if you are moving out of the city. Go with the 11 am to 4 pm window because this is the safest considering that the sun is right at the top of your head for a good 5 hours. Mornings and evenings do tend to get a little cooler which means that moisture can get precipitated in the sky, increasing the probability of water pouring down. So yes, you have to watch the temperatures when you are about to move house.
Is There Any Way To Speed Things Up During A Rain Move?
Divide tasks among family members. Another very useful tip is to dismantle all the furniture items and objects that can be opened up or broken down into pieces. Pack them separately. Use bubble wrap and plastic sheets generously on everything that you might find prone to water damage. Then, moving them from your house to the moving truck becomes much easier and faster.
3. Go With Experienced Moving And Packing Services
One of the biggest and most practical tips for moving house in the rainy season is choosing a moving company that has the experience you are looking for. You can give them a call or probably enquire through email whether they have any experience moving houses during the wet days of the month. Also, the removalist is going to carry the most suitable moving supplies such as:
- Furniture covers
- Plastic sheets
- Bubble wrap
- The device covers for your electronic items
- Extra garbage bags
- Moving straps
- Waterproof tape
4. Protecting Your Belongings – Moving Tips For A Rainy Move
Now when it comes to moving house in the rainy season, you will have to do a few things that any responsible homeowner is expected to do. This includes the following:
- Protecting all your electronic items with the right covers and boxes
- Moving all your gadgets and expensive items to their original boxes (the ones they were delivered in)
- Investing in extra moving straps and ropes to stabilize all your expensive equipment
- Buying bubble wrap and plastic sheets to cover your expensive artwork and valuable jewellery pieces
- Using garbage bags intelligently to make sure that none of your clothes, towels, kids’ toys, and other items get damaged or wet while in transit
- Protecting your plants from bad weather by trimming them neatly and packing them with enough plastic sheets
- Taking the shortest route possible to your destination all the while making sure that the road is smooth and solid
What Happens If The Removalist You Booked Is Running Late Or Cancels?
In such a case, always have a backup. Without a backup, you might have to postpone the date. You could also ask for a refund if the policy of the removalist allows for it. You can still manage the mover running a little late, but if the move gets cancelled, you have the right to ask for a refund or a discount on the agreed-upon amount.
5. Choosing The Right Transport Vehicle For Your Move
Now, this is one of the most interesting tips for moving house that would come as a surprise. You do have a say in what type of vehicle you want. You can decide on the category and capacity of your vehicle depending on your requirements. Let’s have a look at a few examples below:
- If you live in a one-bedroom, hall, kitchen flat, you could use something that has a depth of 7 feet to 8 feet
- If yours is a two-bedroom hall, kitchen apartment, you can always go with a 14 feet vehicle
- Let’s say that there are three bedrooms with attached bathrooms, a big hall and family room, and a huge kitchen. You should be good with a 17-feet or a 19-feet truck
- For anything more than that, you can always go with a 22 feet truck which is probably going to cost you the most amount of money.
How Can I Minimize The Impact Of The Weather On My Move?
Preparation is the key here. For example, if it is bright, hot, and sunny out there, you are better off covering your furniture pieces with opaque sheets and coverings. This will prevent them from fading and cracking. If there is a probability of raining outside, you should invest in bubble wrap and plastic sheets in addition to extra garbage bags and waterproof boxes and containers.
6. Protecting Your Delicate Items
This might require you to do a little bit of research. But wait a minute, we have done that for you already.
Electronic Items With Screens
This is where you are going to be extra careful. Use at least 3 layers of bubble wrap after a styrofoam sheet that will go onto the screen of your gadgets. Wrap them up nicely with at least three layers of plastic wrap. Place them in large boxes that can be lifted by two people.
Jewellery Pieces And Accessories
All your jewellery pieces are supposed to rest on cotton padding inside the jewellery box. Make sure they are neatly wrapped up with plastic sheets after they are closed shut.
Furniture Pieces With Expensive Upholstery
Furniture pieces should be covered with necessary plastic wraps all over their wooden body. You must remember not to leave even an inch of space uncovered. The next step is to tie them up nicely with a nylon rope so that the plastic sheet does not come off.
This will probably be one of the most complicated yet fun moves that you will ever undertake. When done right, it could turn out to be a totally different adventure than you have never had before. Also, with the right moving and packing services in the city, everything just seems a lot easier. Wouldn’t you agree?